This is an ultimate guide to swap face in Photoshop CC for your greater interest. Learn how to replace a face in photoshop and how to blend faces in photoshop from this tutorial taught by TradeXcel Graphics.
The following topics encompass this article.
Photoshop face swap is a common technique used for swapping human or any faces formed by image editing. This technique is a perfect fit for eCommerce Product Photo editing exclusively to use the best advantage for investing in Product Photography for eCommerce business.
Why Do You Need Swap Face in Photoshop?
An interesting image-editing process is the Photoshop face swap. It allows you to swap faces of as per your likings. You can use the faces of different people and do the trick using Photoshop.
This swap face in Photoshop technique is particularly useful for e-commerce stores. The reason for this is that they want to make the most of their investments in eCommerce product photography.
Why do you want to do a Photoshop face swap? Well, there are not one or two reasons that you might want it for, including:
- Adding an attention-grabbing variation to the models who have been featured in different product photos. Imaginary thoughts tempt consumers, and they like to imagine people looking like them.
- Needing to use a shot where the targeting face is exactly in the right position.
- Making a sad or annoyed face feel happy again.
Photoshop Swapping Faces Technique in Product Photos: A Norm or A Need?
Sharing images have become a norm in social networking platforms in these days. People share different digitally swapped 2 faces in 1 picture mainly for a fun effect.
The popular growing trend of taking selfies lead to the emanation of best face swap software for PC, or Photoshop face swap apps (face swap in Snapchat) embedded in mobile phones, for example, iPhones and Android devices.
These applications are developed in such a way that they can track and detect faces instantly. They are so brilliantly-programmed that they can also categorize images by looks, and even used for verification by the face of an individual ID.
Other than all the things stated above, Photoshop swapping faces have some prospective uses like:
- To transfer gems or stones of Jewelry images into a swap file
- To change the designs in clothes
- To change the tags on drinkware and cardboard boxes, etc.
- To alter styles, fashion or advertisement of lifestyle photos
- To give product photos a realistic and allured look
- To change the color and graphic on a mug, jar, bottle, etc.
Find face swap technique interesting? TradeXcel Graphics’ is competent enough to do exactly the same for you.
We’ll do Photoshop face swap for your product photos.
In this face swap tutorial, we’re using Adobe CC 2019 Master Collection. Among the popular Photoshop tools, we’re going to use the Photoshop Lasso Tool to cut the desired portion for face swapping. Steps may vary based on the versions.
How to Face Swap in Photoshop CC?
To do that, you need two faces of two different people. It’s not necessarily important to be of the same gender.
Instead of using the Lasso Tool, you can also use the Polygonal Lasso Tool if you don’t find it. For that, you need to hold on this tool icon after clicking on it.
Face Outline Drawing
To Open Two Images in Photoshop
- Click File > Click Open
Follow the Steps to Blend Both Faces
- Press down Ctrl (Windows) or CMD (Mac)
- Click on two faces > Click Open
Use the Lasso Tool to Make Selection Lines.
Find the Lasso Tool on the top-left toolbar and click on the icon on the tool menu. Alternatively, press “L” to select the Lasso Tool.
Trace Around the Facial Features
Carefully start tracing around the facial features like eyes, the eyebrows, the nose and the lips.
Select the area of the face on which the most portion is highlighted, and ensure the end of drawing the clipping path meets recede to the starting point.
When you’ve finished outlining, a flashing dotted line will be highlighted around it.
Copy and Paste the Selected Portion
Copy the selected portion that you want to swap faces on the desired image. And then, paste it. Follow these steps:
- Click Ctrl + C (Windows) users or CMD + C (Mac)
- Press Ctrl + V (Windows) or CMD + V (Mac users)
Deselect the Face
When you’re done with copying and pasting the face area, deselect the portion of the image and take the flashing dotted line away. For that hold down Ctrl + D on Windows or CMD + D on Mac.
Change the image size
Hold down Ctrl + T or CMD+ T when you select Layer 1, alter the size of your processing image by dragging the corners of the box.
Reduce Opacity to Match Different Face Parts
If you want a better view of your final image, you need to scale down the opacity. This amount of reduction for the copied portion helps match different face parts such as eyes, nose, etc.
Reduce opacity according to your need by dragging the slider arrow to the left. To do image resizing:
- Go to the Layers menu on the Photoshop window
- Click on the Layers tab
- Find the opacity option on the top
- Click on the down-pointing button
- Change to around 55%
Manipulate the Face Layer
Under Free Transform Mode, it will allow you to manipulate the face layer further. Follow these:
- Press Ctrl + T (Windows) or Command + T (Mac) to manipulate.
- Hold down the Shift button to even face adjustment
- Hold down the Enter key to apply the change
Transform the Face Layer
Set up both face layers to swap perfectly. After the fair adjustment of the face, drag if after clicking the box.
If you need to grow the image or shrink it, just drag the corners. Again, drag by sides to stretch the image or squeeze it.
Hovering the mouse outside the corners will give you rotation commands to rotate the image.
Bring Back the Opacity Adjustment To 100%
After setting up of the two faces, back the opacity to 100%. When swapping for the new face, ensure one thing that imported face fits perfectly. To do that:
- Click and Drag the other handles
- Press Enter on the keyboard
- Make the opacity back. Adjust it up to 100%
Copy the Background Layer and Rename
Now, you need to copy the background layer
- Select the background image
- Press Ctrl + J or Command + J to make a copy
- Rename the new layer as a “swapped image”
Delete the Second Face Behind the Body Layer
Resize the selection to fit in the new face
- Hold Ctrl and then click on Layer1
- After highlight, from the select option from top tool bar
- Modify > Contract
- Set the pixel to 15
- Click OK
Now hide Layer1 and background by pressing the eye icon of the Layer1. Click on the swapped face and delete.
Adjust the Skin Color
Match the color with the face that is under processing. To do that
- Click on the Layer1
- Find the Image option from top toolbar
- Adjustment > Match Color
After the selection, a pop-up box will open. Match the color of swapped face with the new face from the source. And click OK.
Blur the Image to Reduce the Sharpness
Select the Blur Tool from the left toolbar. Now brush over the face to reduce the sharpness.
Apply Photoshop Layer Mask to Blend Two Faces
You will see that these steps, when implemented, necessarily apply Layer Masks to every single layer. When Photoshop Layer Masks is applied, these hide the areas which are under or excessively visible.
The Auto-Blend Layers in Photoshop CC from the dropdown menu will come in handy to tweak hidden layers or variations due to creepy color.
To do so:
- Find Edit > choose Auto-Blend Layers
- Choose between Panorama and Stack Images when a dialogue box opens
- Select both Seamless Tones and Colors and Content Aware Fill Transparent Areas
- Click OK
That’s all for today! Now you’ve got a glorious image following our “how to face swap in Photoshop” guide. We’ve tried our level best to help you out.
To End Up!
Swap face in Photoshop can be a lot of fun, and you can impress anyone with your amazing Photoshop technique! You don’t need to be an expert to perform this.
If you liked our tutorial, then subscribe to our YouTube Channel for more tutorials and hit the bell icon to get the notification when a new video is released. Visit and like our Facebook Page. Follow us on Twitter and find us on Pinterest and Instagram.